Plan Your Visit
Welcome to the breathtaking beauty of Mackinac Island, one of Michigan’s most photographed and talked about travel destinations. Located between Michigan’s upper and lower peninsulas, the Island offers you unforgettable natural and historical treasures surrounded by the sparkling blue waters of the Great Lakes. We are happy to provide some travel tips to make your vacation more enjoyable and trouble-free.
Mackinac Island is located between the upper and lower peninsulas of Michigan. As cars are not permitted on Mackinac Island, you must leave your car at the ferry docks in either Mackinaw City or St. Ignace. Both cities have ferry service to the Island and offer several parking options.
Ferry service to Mackinac Island operates from May until November. Departure times vary throughout the season becoming more frequent during the peak of the summer season in July & August. There are departures from both Mackinaw City, MI and St. Ignace, MI.
Prior to your trip we suggest purchasing your ferry tickets online. Guests of Island House Hotel receive discounted fare when using the promocode provided on your reservation confirmation. For those with ferry tickets included with your reservation, present ID to claim your tickets at any Star Line ticket window.
Departures from Star Line’s Mackinaw City dock are the closest dock to Island House Hotel. Check the ferry schedule prior to leaving home. Star Line Ferry Schedule
For a smooth trip, arrive at the ferry dock no less than 30 minutes prior to your scheduled ferry departure time.
Upon arriving at the ferry dock of your choice you will be directed to overnight parking services. Here you will arrange for vehicle parking, and have any luggage that you wish to be transported to Island House Hotel tagged and loaded onto the ferry for you.
Complimentary baggage handling service is available through both the ferry service & the hotel. Guests are in not obligated to use these services. Island House Hotel makes every effort to assist our guests in safeguarding their belongings. When packing for your trip please remember that your luggage will be transferred from vehicle, to ferry, to dock, to dray to hotel and repeated for your return trip. Only use luggage than is zipped or sealed to prevent lost items. Luggage is transported by multiple services; Island House Hotel cannot be responsible for lost, stolen or damaged luggage or its contents. Please hand-carry all irreplaceable or fragile items including medicine, electronics, personal documents, valuables, and glass.
Reaching Mackinac Island by air is a unique experience no matter which option you may choose. Mackinac Island is served by Pellston Airport (231.539.8441) located a mere 12-miles south of Mackinaw City. Transportation to and from Pellston is available through Wolverine Stages (231.539.8635), call ahead for availability.
Mackinac Island also has an airport capable of accommodating both chartered and private planes. Chartered flights are available through Great Lakes Air (906.643.7165) and St. Ignace Airport (906.643.7327). Call Mackinac Island Airport (906.847.3231) for private plane information.
Island House Hotel
6966 Main Street
Mackinac Island, MI 49757
Getting to Island House Hotel from Mackinac Island Ferry Dock
Once you arrive on Mackinac Island, a porter will take your luggage and direct you to the hotel.
Guest transportation to and from the hotel are not included in your nightly rate. You may walk, bike or take a horse-drawn taxi to the hotel. Mackinac Island Taxi
Upon arrival at the hotel, please present your luggage claim stubs that you received at the ferry dock to the desk clerk at check-in. Your luggage will then be delivered to your room.
Things to Do
- Rent bikes to ride on M-185, the only state highway in the nation where motor vehicles are banned
- Make a splash in our indoor pool, one of the few island hotels offering this rainy day option
- Soak in the whirlpool, steam in the dry sauna
- Hike to Arch Rock, Skull Cave, Devil’s Kitchen or the many other natural wonders
- Catch a fudge making demonstration at one of three Ryba’s Mackinac Island Fudge Shops
- Sip a Latte or Frappucino from Starbucks downtown Mackinac Island
- Sample a selection of wine & craft beer at Mary’s Bistro Draught House
- Tee off at Wawaskamo Golf Course
- Enjoy a romantic and delicious dinner at 1852 Grill Room with live piano music nightly
- It’s always happy hour at the Ice House BBQ with indoor & outdoor bar or patio seating
- Tour Mackinac Island by horse-drawn carriage tour or horse-back riding
- Watch butterflies hatch from their cocoons at The Original Butterfly House & Insect Museum or Wings of Mackinac Butterfly Conservatory
- Tour historic sites such as Fort Mackinac, Mannogian Art Museum or Fort Holmes
- Listen to tales from beyond during a Haunts of Mackinac walking tour
- Mackinac Arts Council offers Music in the Park and Art Workshops throughout the summer
- Explore Mackinac Island from the water with Great Turtle Kayak Tours