Plan Your Visit
Welcome to the breathtaking beauty of Mackinac Island, one of Michigan’s most photographed and talked about travel destinations. Located between Michigan’s upper and lower peninsulas, the Island offers you unforgettable natural and historical treasures surrounded by the sparkling blue waters of the Great Lakes. We are happy to provide some travel tips to make your vacation more enjoyable and trouble-free.
Mackinac Island is located between the upper and lower peninsulas of Michigan. As cars are not permitted on Mackinac Island, you must leave your car at the ferry docks in either Mackinaw City or St. Ignace. Both cities have ferry service to the Island and offer several parking options.
Island House Hotel
6966 Main Street
Mackinac Island, MI 49757
Ferry service to Mackinac Island operates from May until November with crossings from early morning until early evening depending on the month. There are departures from both Mackinaw City, MI and St. Ignace, MI. No reservations are required to ride the ferry to Mackinac Island and there is parking available.
For ferry availability and schedule questions contact Starline or call 800.638.9892.
Reaching Mackinac Island by air is a unique experience no matter which option you may choose. Mackinac Island is served by Pellston Airport (231.539.8441) located a mere 12-miles south of Mackinaw City. Transportation to and from Pellston is available through Wolverine Stages (231.539.8635), call ahead for availability.
Mackinac Island also has an airport capable of accommodating both chartered and private planes. Chartered flights are available through Great Lakes Air (906.643.7165) and St. Ignace Airport (906.643.7327). Call Mackinac Island Airport (906.847.3231) for private plane information.
Things to Do
- Rent Bikes to ride the M-185, the only state highway in the nation where motor vehicles are banned
- Make a splash in our Indoor Pool, one of only two island hotels offering this rainy day option
- Soak in the whirlpool
- Catch a fudge making demonstration at Ryba’s
- Sip at Latte or Frappucino from Starbucks
- Sample a selection of wines & craft beer at Mary’s Bistro Draught House
- Tee off at Wawaskamo Golf Course
- Satisfy your taste buds at 1852 Grill Room
- It’s always Happy Hour at the Ice House patio and garden
- Take a horse-drawn carriage tour
- Hike to Arch Rock, Skull Cave, Devil’s Kitchen or the many other natural wonders
- Watch butterflies hatch from their coccoons at The Original Butterfly House or Wings of Mackinac Butterfly Conservatory
- Tour Fort Mackinac, Mannogian Art Museum or Fort Holmes
- Take a Haunts of Mackinac walking tour
- Horseback riding